When Chanel sent tweed and embroidered trainers down the runway of the 2014 Spring/Summer Haute Couture show, the luxe sneaker trend was catapulted to star status. This trend is still going strong 3 years later, being embraced by both sporty and non-sporty fashionistas alike.
10 reasons why I am loving the sneaker trend in general
- They are literally the most comfortable and least restrictive shoes to wear! With sporty origins, these shoes are made for walking, running errands and spending all day in. Run-away child (or in my case cat)? No worries! You are race ready.
- You can make the most interesting styling choices and create a unique statement! I love pairing sneakers with outfits that are not typically associated with such a sporty shoe, such as a full skirt or elegant evening gown. There is something so chic about the juxtaposition of trainers and formal wear.
- There are so many choices out there now thanks to the array of designers who have jumped on board. No longer are the days where you have to rely on Adidas, or Nike, because let’s face it no matter how expensive and celebrity endorsed their sneakers are now, they will always be the brands I associate with sport or gym. When I rock a sneaker casually it has to be as far away from doing sport as a sneaker can be (i.e. blinged out or embellished).
- If it means that people will stop wearing Crocs, Uggs or Birkenstocks outside of the house in favor of this trend, then it is a huge plus for me! Also, no offense to those who like Uggs, as I know many fashionable women worldwide wear them. In Australia however, Ugg boots are the “bogan’s” shoe of choice, and thus they are ruined for most of us here. I personally would never, ever leave the house wearing them and cringe at the sight of even Kendall Jenner doing so.
- If you want to do something good for your feet, then wearing sneakers is the way to go. Think about all the long-term damage high heels can cause (like bunions, altered posture, varicose veins and increased risk of osteoarthritis)! A bonus, they also make it easy for you to wear those expensive orthotics that you never use enough.
- Create a social media frenzy! The amount of attention I see them command on Instagram is incredible. They are almost up there with, dare I say, the cutest fluffy kitties! No just kidding. Nothing beats cute fluffy kitties for the title of “King of the internet”.
- They look good on almost everyone! I can’t think of any other fashion item that suits and includes people so universally.
- I can pretend to look like I am super fit, even though these days I am far from it.
- It makes it a whole load easier (and faster) to walk over cobblestone pathways and uneven terrain. Trust me this is a biggie, as walking at speed will not only get me to my destination quicker, it will hopefully help me burn more kilojoules to negate that chocolate brownie I ate before lunch.
- I actually can’t think of a proper tenth reason, apart from the fact that having 10 reasons to love sneakers sounded infinitely better than 9!
Adrianna is wearing
Adrianna is rocking a pair of Gucci Ace embroidered low-top sneakers. They were purchased late last year from an Australian Gucci boutique.